7/15/2007

First time Meijer by myself!

It is so different to buy stuff here!
It is so hard for us to fing a store to buy stuff not so far from where we live. We have to go to the super market which is half an hour's driving from Oxford housing. I think it is because people here all have cars and it is convinent for them to go shoping once a week in a far away place. However, the situation is hard for us. Luckily, we get buses!

The bus system here is very developed. One can find the route's map and schedule on the webside easily. And the buses keep time very well. I took route 6 today which can send me to the mall as well as to the super market Meijer. By the way, there is a big cinema called showcase just near Meijer, and one can buy tickets of discount with a M card. However, the route 6 goes as far as the Michigan Union which is still 15 min' walk to Oxford housing.

You can buy almost everything in Meijer. Weiwang has bought stuff to cook there the other day and we cooked with a lot of fun yesterday. What is the most interesting is that we can scan the items we buy ourselves! I never done or even seen that before! I was wondering what if someone forgets or fail to scan some items? And the system relies a lot on the self-control of people. I think a self-scan machine in China may encount some unexpectable difficulties.

Something unforgetable happened on my way back to Oxford. I bought so many things that I can hardly move them by myself. When I was just wondering how I can make to Oxford, two guys showed up and asked me if I need help. They are college students but are now serving the church for two years. I cannot imagine what I am going to do if I haven't met these two guys. They help me with the heavy bags all the way home and left a small book about the christ when we say goodbye. What an amazing experince!

No comments: